Tag: 上海夜网VA

FA Chairman Greg Dyke feels Jose Mourinho should have apologised to Eva Carneiro

first_imgChelsea boss Jose Mourinho could again face questions over his treatment of former club doctor Eva Carneiro after Football Association chairman Greg Dyke criticised the Portuguese’s handling of the incident. Mourinho is due to conduct his pre-match press conference on Friday afternoon ahead of the clash with Southampton and may choose to respond to Dyke’s assertions. The letter was sent following Wednesday’s FA board meeting, since when independent board member Heather Rabbatts launched a stinging attack on the FA for its “seriously disappointing” handling of the Carneiro case. Dyke’s letter makes clear his misgivings over Mourinho’s behaviour. Carneiro was dropped from first-team duties after an incident on the opening day of the season when she was criticised by Mourinho for going on to the pitch to treat Eden Hazard. She has since parted company with Chelsea. Dyke says in the letter: “There have been some well-documented issues of late around equality and inclusion in the game, an issue where it is vital we continue to show clear leadership. “I felt the handling of the case of the Chelsea doctor, Eva Carneiro, was a good example of this. We supported Heather Rabbatts’ strong statement on the matter earlier in the month. “Personally I don’t think Mr Mourinho comes well out of the whole saga – he clearly made a mistake in the heat of a game, and should have said so and apologised. “Instead he has said very little and Miss Carneiro has lost her job. “Our regulatory team have investigated this and whilst Mr Mourinho has breached no rules it was clearly a failure of his personal judgement and public behaviour. This should be seen as such by the game.” Mourinho was earlier this week cleared of using discriminatory language towards Carneiro in Chelsea’s opening Premier League game of the season against Swansea. But Dyke said – in a letter to FA council members, a copy of which has been obtained by Press Association Sport – that Mourinho committed “a failure of his personal judgement and public behaviour”. Rabbatts, head of the FA’s inclusion advisory board, said she had “major concerns” regarding the FA’s disciplinary process which saw Mourinho cleared. It has emerged that the FA did not ask to interview Carneiro, although it is understood it asked her lawyers if they wished to provide any evidence. Rabbatts told Press Association Sport: “The FA’s reaction to the treatment of Dr Eva Carneiro has been seriously disappointing. I have major concerns over the way in which the disciplinary process has been conducted and the lack of an organisational response to the wider issues raised by this case. “We had an announcement late (on Wednesday) relating to a high-profile incident which occurred on August 8 and yet it would appear that during that time no witnesses were requested to speak to the FA, including Dr Carneiro, and in the course of the investigation some media were reporting it was likely that no charge was to be brought.” Press Associationlast_img read more

Read more…

Panthers draw first blood in GFF/KFC U-20 Independence Cup

first_imgACTION in Guyana’s first-ever national U-20 club tournament, the GFF/KFC U-20 Independence Cup, kicked off yesterday at the GFF National Training Centre, Providence, with an intense nail-biter between Timehri Panthers U-20s and Agricola Red Triangle U-20s.Following the march past of the teams, an East Bank Football Association affair had to be decided by penalties after regulation time and extra-time could not produce a winner.Agricola grabbed the early advantage through the boot of Randy Simon who put his side 1-0 up after just 13 minutes. In the first half no other goals were scored. However, Tyrone Burnette would get through Agricola’s defence early in the second half and equalised for the Panthers, slotting calmly past the Agricola custodian.With no further goals recorded in regulation time and neither side finding the net in extra time, it all went down to the wire from the penalty spot. It was the Panthers who held their nerve to win 5-4 on penalties.That matchup was the only competitive game of the day but fans were treated to an exhibition match between a select Guyana U-17 side and Elite league team Den Amstel.Teams from each member association across the country will play in a straight knockout tournament, with the winners from each region then coming together to compete in playoffs to decide who will be crowned national champions.The tournament, which is sponsored by KFC, part of the Beharry Group of Companies, will continue in the coming week.last_img read more

Read more…

#Donkomi: Bayern Munich has signed Coutinho from Barcelona on a season-long loan

first_imgFC Bayern Munich has completed the transfer of Philippe Coutinho.The Brazil international passed his medical examination on Sunday and signed his contract at the club’s Säbener Straße headquarters. Coutinho will initially spend a season on loan from Spanish champions Barcelona.FC Bayern possesses an option to buy the 27-year-old following the expiry of his loan contract on 30 June 2020. All parties have agreed not to disclose any financial details of the agreement.Philippe Coutinho said:“For me, this move means a new challenge in a new country with one of the best clubs in Europe. I’m very much looking forward to that. Like FC Bayern, I have big ambitions and I’m convinced that I can achieve them together with my new teammates.”FC Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge commented:“We’ve been working on bringing in Philippe Coutinho for quite some time and we’re very happy that we’ve been able to complete this transfer. Our thanks go to FC Barcelona for agreeing to the transfer. With his creativity and outstanding skills, Philippe is a player who will immediately strengthen our attack.”Sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic commented:“Philippe made it very clear to us during the negotiations in Barcelona that he absolutely wanted to move to FC Bayern. He’s a world-class player with great ability, who we can deploy in a number of positions in our forward line, so the FC Bayern squad has gained even more quality. Philippe Coutinho will help us achieve the ambitious targets we’ve set for this season.”Coutinho progressed through the youth teams at the top Brazilian club Vasco da Gama. In Europe, he played for Inter Milan, Espanyol and Liverpool.When he moved from Liverpool to Barcelona in January 2018, he was the second most expensive player in the world after his compatriot Neymar.With the Catalans, he won back-to-back Spanish championships and, in 2018, the Spanish Cup. He has made 55 appearances for the Brazilian national team, scoring 15 goals to date.This summer, as one of the most influential players he led the Seleção to victory in the Copa América, the South American continental championship. Source: Bayern Munichlast_img read more

Read more…

Brothers on trial for attempted murder

first_img…older sibling claims victim verbally abused, attacked himThe High Court trial of Brian Joseph and his younger brother, Dequan Small is expected to conclude today – days after the duo denied allegations that their actions almost 11 years ago – nearly caused the death of the Virtual Complainant, Shawn Hussain at Diamond, East Bank Demerara.The State’s case stated that following a confrontation, the then 17-year-old Joseph beat Hussain about the body with a wood on June 24, 2007 with intent to murder him or alternatively, tried to maim, disfigure or cause grievous bodily harm.His younger sibling, who was 13 at the time, is accused of abetting and procuring his older sibling to commit the offence. The Prosecution on Tuesday stressed that in the presence of other persons, it was Small, who handed a piece of wood to Joseph, to commit the act. However, two men, now in their twenties disputed the case, painting a different picture as to what transpired.Both gave unsworn statements to the 12-member jury, which meant that they could not be cross-examined by prosecutors or be questioned by the Judge or jury. Small, who stood for just a few minutes, told the court he was nowhere around when the beating took place. He said all he could remember was being home on the day in question when Police arrived in the evening and were looking for his older brother, Brian Joseph.Meanwhile, Joseph addressed the jury for over 20 minutes, telling members that he was now a father of four children. His account was that as he was passing Hussain, he verbally abused him. He indicated that the victim identified him by race and made certain derogatory remarks, which he expressed in open court.Joseph earlier explained that the road in the area was under construction and he took a back route where he encountered Hussain. He claimed that after the first confrontation, he was passing again and was holding on to his bicycle when he was attacked. Joseph noted that he was afraid for his life because “Shawn was a big man”.The accused claimed that Hussain “chucked” him and he fell before he retaliated by assaulted the victim. Joseph did not deny that he assaulted the victim but claimed that the man had a gun in his waist, which fell out after he pushed Hussain to the ground.“I notice some construction material on the ground and I pick up one and lash he on he hand…he try to pull the wood away from me and I lash he on he knee. He get two lash on he hand,” Joseph admitted.He added that he saw a light coming, assuming it was the Police and ran away. He was arrested later that night. He said a relative of Hussain claimed his brother gave him the piece of wood.Justice Sandhill Kissoon is expected to sum up the case before the matter is put to the jury for deliberation. The two men are represented by Michael Somersault while Prosecutors Lisa Cave and Mandell Moore are presenting the State.last_img read more

Read more…

Why Allegheny County Is Rushing to Get Ahead of a Longsimmering Lead

first_imgShare4TweetShare1Email5 SharesApril 24, 2017; Pittsburgh Tribune-ReviewAs a result of news coverage about lead poisoning, Allegheny County’s Health Department (ACHD) announced the formation of a new task force. According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, “Allegheny County is launching a lead task force to consider policy changes and analyze county data, Health Department Director Dr. Karen Hacker announced at a news conference Monday. The announcement followed several media reports on the county’s lead problem, including a Trib story revealing the county has rarely imposed penalties on landlords who take months to abate lead paint in properties where poisoned children live.”ACHD may be operating in crisis control mode, since the details of the task force have yet to be defined. The fact that County Executive Rich Fitzgerald will be offering more details next week is a sign that the media have attracted the attention of the political class. In another strange twist, ACHD held an “informational presentation” at the county council meeting on Wednesday—without posting a public notice first.The Tribune-Review also announced that the County Controller’s office would conduct an independent audit of the Health Department programs related to lead poisoning. Allegheny County Controller Chelsa Wagner cited stories prepared by Pittsburgh’s Public Source, an investigative news organization that provides Pennsylvania citizens with in-depth information, as motivating the audit of ACHD. According to Public Source,Wagner based her claims, in part, on a report PublicSource published last week that pointed out flaws in the health department’s data and the methods it was using to collect the data. That story showed a correlation in a slight rise of elevated blood lead levels among Pittsburgh children who were tested and the timing of a chemical switch made by the Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority in April 2014.The political spotlight is probably due in part to the fact that next week is the primary election for mayor and council in Pittsburgh. Pols don’t want to appear helpless in the face of many questions about possible lead poisoning risks. Mayor Peduto, who is expecting to win the Democratic primary against two opponents, has signaled that free water filters are still on offer to Pittsburgh households. This news comes in the wake of revelations that the Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority (PWSA) hired the same contractor as Flint, Michigan, to operate their water system in 2012 and got many of the same results as Flint. Mayor Peduto has pledged to reorganize the PWSA, while his primary opponents claim it’s “too little, too late.” The big question for Pittsburghers is whether lead poisoning will survive the primary as an issue.The current stories in the Tribune-Review and from Public Source expand upon the issues addressed in the earlier “Hidden Poison” series, which primarily looked at the problem of lead in the drinking water. Last week, the Tribune-Review featured a story on ACHD’s failure to shut down homes where lead dust caused a child to be poisoned and where the owner failed to remove the lead from the property. Under state law, these homes should be “placarded” to warn tenants against renting there. The Tribune-Review article notes that the names of owners and addresses of the poisoned properties are considered protected information under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). The article also focused attention on the low level of lead testing in children in Allegheny County.ACHD Director Dr. Karen Hacker challenged some of the facts in the Tribune-Review and Public Source stories but didn’t provide specific examples.To a great extent, the lack of clarity and transparency about data and procedures is at the root of the problem of public accountability for lead poisoning. The Public Source article, “How dangerous is Pittsburgh’s lead problem? The data is contradictory and the damage could be worse than officials say,” tells the frustration of dealing with partial and faulty data coming from the ACHD.The number of tests confirming elevated lead levels in Pittsburgh children younger than six fell from 49 to 43 from 2013 to 2015. However, during that same time, the number of lead tests conducted in the city fell by more than 1,000, from 4,428 to 3,412, meaning that the total percentage of children in Pittsburgh with elevated lead during the time of the chemical switch slightly increased, from 1.11 percent to 1.26 percent.Got that? Test fewer children, find fewer cases…but a higher percentage of poisoned children among those tested. No wonder citizens are confused about the scope of the problem.Pittsburgh’s media outlets are not alone in trying to penetrate the public health obfuscation around lead poisoning. What is clear is that “the lead system” can break down at many points—from blood testing, to health management, to water and home testing, to remediation of known hazards. The second installment of a series by Reuters acknowledges that facts about lead poisoning are hard to come by, but the stories of people’s suffering are compelling. That’s also the lesson of the “Toxic Neglect“ series in the Cleveland Plain Dealer, which over nearly two years has documented failure after failure by public officials to carry out their missions and accurately report their outcomes.While necessary, media scrutiny of public programs may not be sufficient to trigger real change. That’s why politicians in election mode are scrambling right now. But without ongoing civic engagement, the pols’ interest in getting to the bottom of the problem may wane. One civic effort to address lead poisoning in Pittsburgh, the Women For A Healthy Environment, has undertaken a community education program around lead-in-water issues. As of now, however, there doesn’t seem to be a vehicle for grassroots political involvement.—Spencer WellsThanks to Mila Sanina of Public Source for contributing to this story.Share4TweetShare1Email5 Shareslast_img read more

Read more…