ICE Futures Canada Thursday morning Canola prices higher barley unchanged

WINNIPEG — Prices were higher in mid-morning trading at ICE Futures Canada on Thursday:Canola: Nov. ’17 $1.80 higher $495.20; Jan. ’18 $1.50 higher $501.20; March ’18 $0.50 higher $505.70; May ’18 $0.40 higher $508.20; July ’18 $0.30 higher $509.10; Nov. ’18 unchanged $485.80; Jan. ’19 unchanged $487.50; March ’19 unchanged $490.20; May ’19 unchanged $490.20; July ’19 unchanged $490.20; Nov. ’19 unchanged $490.20.Barley (Western): Oct. ’17 unchanged $145.00; Dec. ’17 unchanged $148.00; March ’18 unchanged $151.00; May ’18 unchanged $151.00; July ’18 unchanged $151.00; Oct. ’18 unchanged $151.00; Dec. ’18 unchanged $151.00; March ’19 unchanged $151.00; May ’19 unchanged $151.00; July ’19 unchanged $151.00; Oct. ’19 unchanged $151.00. read more

Read more…

Marijuana producer Aphria inks deal to raise 80 million as doubts raised

LEAMINGTON, Ont. — Shares in Aphria Inc. fell nearly 10 per cent in early trading as the marijuana producer announced a deal to raise $80 million even as questions swirled about the future of its listing on the Toronto Stock Exchange.The company announced the bought-deal financing Tuesday that will see it issue more than 11 million shares at a price of $7.25 per share.Shares in the company were down 79 cents at $7.13 in trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange.The financing came a day after the TSX issued a staff notice that said U.S. federal law takes precedence over state laws, and issuers that violate the federal marijuana law are not complying with listing requirements.Aphria said the TSX notice was “extremely broad” and that it was difficult to determine what, if any, impact it could have on its business.“The objective application of such staff notice by the TSX to any entity engaging in activities related to the cultivation, distribution or possession of marijuana in the U.S. or entities engaging in ancillary services activities may prove to be challenging in determining actual compliance with such guidance,” the company said in a statement.However, it noted that marijuana is medically legal in 31 states and territories and that the U.S. Congress has prohibited the U.S. Department of Justice from using federal funds to carry out criminal or civil actions against state licensed medical cannabis operators.The TSX clarification had been anticipated by marijuana companies looking to get a foothold in the U.S. market as well as U.S. companies that want to access capital on Canadian markets.Aphria, which is listed on the TSX, announced an investment in Florida in April of this year.The company said its common shares have traded on the TSX and previously the TSX Venture Exchange for almost three years during which time it has raised over $216 million. The company added that it has had marijuana-related activities in the U.S. since 2015.Meanwhile, shares of Canopy Growth were down 30 cents at $12.83 even as it said that the TSX staff notice would have no impact on its operations and praised the move.Canopy said the decision by the TSX was a step in the right direction.“We take our responsibility to our shareholders seriously and as such have chosen to conduct business in jurisdictions where it is federally legal to do so,” Canopy chairman and chief executive Bruce Linton said.Meanwhile, the Canadian Securities Administrators, the umbrella organization for Canada’s provincial and territorial securities regulators, appeared to take a much more lax approach.It said companies must tell investors about certain risks when they invest south of the border — where issuers with marijuana-related activities in the U.S. assume certain risks due to conflicting state and federal laws. read more

Read more…

White House defends spying on civilians

But the Obama administration, while declining to comment on the specific order, said the practice was “a critical tool in protecting the nation from terrorist threats to the United States”. The administration stressed that the court order obtained by the Guardian relates to call data, and does not allow the government to listen in to anyone’s calls. Under the terms of the blanket order, the numbers of both parties on a call are handed over, as is location data, call duration, unique identifiers, and the time and duration of all calls. The contents of the conversation itself are not covered.The disclosure has reignited longstanding debates in the US over the proper extent of the government’s domestic spying powers. Under the Bush administration, officials in security agencies had disclosed to reporters the large-scale collection of call records data by the NSA, but this is the first time significant and top-secret documents have revealed the continuation of the practice under President Obama.The White House stressed that orders such as the one disclosed by the Guardian would only cover data about the calls rather than their content. A senior administration official said: “Information of the sort described in the Guardian article has been a critical tool in protecting the nation from terrorist threats to the United States, as it allows counter-terrorism personnel to discover whether known or suspected terrorists have been in contact with other persons who may be engaged in terrorist activities, particularly people located inside the United States.“As we have publicly stated before, all three branches of government are involved in reviewing and authorising intelligence collection under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. Congress passed that act and is regularly and fully briefed on how it is used, and the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court authorises such collection. There is a robust legal regime in place governing all activities conducted pursuant to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.” The secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (Fisa) granted the order to the FBI on April 25, giving the government unlimited authority to obtain the data for a specified three-month period ending on July 19. The White House has sought to justify its surveillance of millions of Americans’ phone records as anger grows over revelations that a secret court order gives the National Security Agency blanket authority to collect call data from a major phone carrier.Politicians and civil liberties campaigners described the disclosures, revealed by the Guardian on Wednesday, as the most sweeping intrusion into private data they had ever seen by the US government. This point was also made by the chairman of the Senate intelligence committee, Dianne Feinstein. “This is just meta data. There is no content involved,” she told reporters on Capitol Hill. “In other words, no content of a communication. … The records can only be accessed under heightened standards.” read more

Read more…

Indian fishermen to protest over Sri Lanka

“We condemn the central government’s indifference. We demand compensation for the boats damaged in Sri Lankan custody,” said Jesuraja. The ministry of external affairs has asked fishermen to find an alternative job and to adopt deep sea fishing. “But we need time to shift to deep sea fishing. We proposed to hand over a good number of our boats under a buyback scheme. The minister said she would consider the possibility of a buyback scheme,” said Jesuraja. Fishermen in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry on Monday decided to call for a bandh to protest against the central government’s indifference to the issues concerning them, the Times of India reported.At a meeting held in Rameswaram, fishermen leaders also decided to get support from political parties. “In the coming days, we are going to meet the leaders of all political parties. We are also planning to call for a one-day bandh in Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry to condemn the Centre’s indifference to us,” said Ramanathapuram district secretary of the Tamil Nadu Mechanised Boat Fishermen Association B Jesuraja. The meeting was held in the backdrop of external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj’s advice to the fishermen not to cross the territorial waters of Sri Lanka and the central government’s alleged hesitation to intervene every time Indian fishermen are arrested by the Sri Lankan navy. Out of 81 boats released by Sri Lanka, fishermen could salvage only 61 boats and the rest have to be abandoned since they were damaged beyond repair. Even among the 61 boats, nearly ten boats had suffered extensive damage, fishermen said.Fishermen said the meeting between Sushma Swaraj and their leaders disappointed them. “The minister asked us not to venture into Sri Lankan waters. She asked us to carry out fishing in Indian waters, but there is no fish in our waters,” said D Arockiam, a fisherman in Rameswaram. read more

Read more…

Lankan Embassy in Nepal damaged after new quake

The Sri Lankan Embassy in Nepal suffered minor damages as a result of the latest earthquake, the Foreign Ministry said.The Ministry however said that all embassy officials and the sole remaining Sri Lankan in Nepal are safe. The US Geological Survey said it had a magnitude of 7.4. An earthquake on 25 April, centred in western Nepal, had a magnitude of 7.8. The latest tremor was felt as far away as the Indian capital Delhi, as well as Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh.Strong tremors were felt in the capital of Nepal, Kathmandu, which was badly damaged in last month’s earthquake.All Sri Lankan citizens were evacuated to Sri Lanka after the earthquake in Nepal last month. (Colombo Gazette) According to the BBC, the latest earthquake hit near the town of Namche Bazar, near Mount Everest. read more

Read more…

Court issues order on opposition rally and UNP event

The Kandy Magistrate today issued an order on the joint opposition rally scheduled to commence from Kandy tomorrow and a UNP recruitment drive also set to be held in Kandy on the same day.The Magistrate ordered that the joint opposition rally commence from outside the Kandy city and the UNP UNP recruitment drive to be held after 2pm tomorrow.

Read more…

Regulations to be drafted for electric vehicle charging stations

Also, approval was granted to introduce amendments to the Sri Lanka Electricity Act enabling regulatory intervention on EVCS, enabling PUCSL to enforce user tariffs, licensing as well as imposing of safety and technical standards. Registration of electric motor cars in Sri Lanka has increased from 90 in the year 2014 to 3,238 in the year 2015. The Public Utilities Commission of Sri Lanka (PUCSL), the electricity sector regulator, today opened the path for public to comment on issues pertaining to an electric vehicle charging stations (EVCS) and its users in order to identify and draft the required regulatory tools.The Government empowered PUCSL to establish a register of EVCS at each distribution licensee- CEB and LECO, issue code of practice for EVCS, determine end user tariffs, issue safety and other technical standards for EVCS and collect information on a regular basis for monitoring purposes. Further, PUCSL plans to hold an oral submission on the same.The venue and the date of the meeting will be communicated to the interested parties at an early date. (Colombo Gazette) Total registration of electric motor cars from the year 2011-2016 is approximately 4,349 in Sri Lanka. Apart to a large number of electric motor cars, Sri Lanka also has a limited number of electric motor tricycles, motorcycles, dual purpose vehicles and single cabs.Around 50 privately owned Electric Vehicle Charging Stations (EVCS) are operating in the country, covering all main towns, catering to the growing number of customers using electric vehicles but remain unregulated due to lack of proper legislation. PUCSL invites stakeholders views, suggestions, recommendation, concerns and comments related to  following areas;a) Requirement of maintaining and updating a register of authorized EVCS at CEB and LECOb) Code of practices for EVCSc) Determination of end user tariffs, safety and other technical standards for EVCSd) Rights and Obligations Statement for consumers of EVCSe) Issues faced by EVCS and consumers of such centresf) Issues related to residential charging facilitiesPUCSL wishes to introduce a regulatory mechanism to safeguard the rights of EVCS, consumers of such places in terms of economic, technical and safety aspects.The draft consultation paper  is now available at www.pucsl.gov.lk for reference. A printed copy of this report also is available at the Information Centre of the Commission. Those who are interested can submit their written comments/submissions to the Commission by post/fax or e-mail and online via www.pucsl.gov.lk on or before 04th of October 2017. read more

Read more…

Alleged threat on Mahindas life to be investigated

The Ministry of Law and Order says an investigation is to be launched into an alleged threat on the life of former President Mahinda Rajapaksa.Law and Order Minister Ranjith Madduma Bandara told Parliament today that he will instruct the Inspector General of Police (IGP) to look into the matter. The concern was raised by opposition Parliamentarian Wimal Weerawansa. (Colombo Gazette)

Read more…

Eiffel Tower puts lights off to honour victims in Sri Lanka

The tower also went dark in May 2017, after an explosion at an Ariana Grandeconcert in Manchester, England, killed 22 people; in January 2015, to honor those who died in the attack on the satire magazine Charlie Hebdo; and in November 2015, in tribute to those who died in the terror attacks at six locations around Paris. On Easter Sunday morning in Sri Lanka, at least 207 people were killed and hundreds more wounded in a series of explosions set off by suicide bombers at three churches and four hotels. At the stroke of midnight in Paris, the Eiffel Tower went dark to honour the more than 200 people who died in the Sri Lanka bomb attacks, CNN reported.It’s a move the operators of the iconic landmark often make in tribute to causes and calamities.”Tonight, from 12:00 am, I will turn my lights off to pay tribute to the victims of the Sri Lanka attack,” a post on the tower’s Twitter account said. read more

Read more…

Police impose curfew in more areas in Kurunegala

The curfew has been imposed till 4am tomorrow.Earlier, a Police curfew had been re-imposed in the Kuliyapitiya, Bingiriya, Dummalasuriya and Hettipola areas with immediate effect till 4am tomorrow. The Police imposed curfew in more areas in the Kurunegala District today as tensions rose between communities in the area.The Police said that curfew has been imposed in the Rasnayakapura and Kobeigane areas in Kurunegala with immediate effect.

Read more…

Its hoop time — tickets for Saturdays home opener are going fast

Expect the Bob Davis Gym to be standing room only on Saturday (Nov 12) when the Brock men’s and women’s basketball teams launch the 2016-17 season with home openers against the University of Toronto.The women play at 6 pm, while the men go at 8.Both the men’s team, which starts the season ranked #7 in Canada, and the women’s squad are deeper than they were a year ago and are very entertaining to watch.Brock fans pride themselves on being the best in Canada, and the home openers have been sell-outs for the last two years. Last season Brock had two of the top three basketball crowds in Canada.This year’s campaign is being greeted with excitement and anticipation after a 2015-16 season in which the teams delighted large crowds, including two historic and electrifying game events in the Meridian Centre in downtown St Catharines that drew more than 2,500 people each night.Tickets for Saturday’s games can be purchased at the Walker Complex welcome desk or by calling 905-688-5550 x4060. Adult tickets are $10 and youth and seniors $5. Brock students can pick up a free ticket at the welcome desk by producing their student ID. read more

Read more…