Hundreds arrested over xenophobic attacks in South Africa. Africa’s biggest film and TV market underway in Johannesburg Jason Stange was arrested after U.S. Marshals read film write-up Jason Stange was arrested after U.S. Marshals read film write-upA fugitive bank-robber-turned-actor has been arrested in Washington state after U.S. agents spotted his picture in a newspaper article about a low-budget horror film in which he plays an evil doctor, an official said on Monday.Officers on a U.S. Marshals Service fugitive task force saw Jason Stange’s picture in the Olympian newspaper’s feature last week on horror movie “Marla Mae,” said Jack Williams, chief deputy for the agency’s western district of Washington state.The officers, who had been tracking his disappearance for several months, identified him by the photo and a unique forearm tattoo, Williams said. Marshals tracked him from a filming location to a store in Olympia, where he was arrested without incident on Friday, he said.Stange was sentenced to nearly 10 years in prison and five years supervised release in 2006 after pleading guilty to armed bank robbery, Williams said. He was freed on supervised release in 2014, but had been sought since he walked away from a halfway house in Spokane.Brandon Roberts, the film’s producer, said he did not know Stange was a fugitive and that he would not have cast him if he had known about his past.“This is a small-budget movie,” he said. The filming process is “a short blast of work, 12 hours a day, every single day. You get to know people well in a professional sense – what is their work ethic, do they show up on time – but beyond that we didn’t know anything about his background.”“He did a good job. He was friendly. Well-liked. We didn’t know he was a criminal or anything like that,” Roberts added.Stange plays the role of Dr. Lourdes, an evil physician who targets the protagonist, in the film slated to be released in 2016, Roberts said.– REUTERS –Related Experience the horror of Ebola in this new virtual reality film
The registration for the Lagos Media Marathon is still ongoing on its official website lagosmediamarathon.com.Also, physical forms are being collected at the various designated centres including the Teslim Balogun Stadium and the Sports Writers Association of Nigeria, Lagos branch Office inside the National Stadium in Surulere.Tony Ubani, the chairman of the Organising committee for the Media race thumbed up the enthusiasm being showed towards the Lagos Media Marathon.While commending the passion from the public, Ubani however reiterated that those to be recognised and accorded free registration as media practitioners are card carrying members of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, NUJ or its affiliate bodies.He also added that students of Mass Communication and journalism related courses are the only ones qualified for the free registration and consolation prizes set aside in the Students category“I will want appeal again to all journalists who intend to participate in the Media Marathon who are not card-carrying members of NUJ and its affiliate to regularize their membership before the race in May,” said UbaniOver six million Naira will be won by various winners in the maiden Lagos Media Marathon.According to the initial breakdown of cash prizes released by the organizers, the male and female journalists who emerge top in their respective 10km races will be taking home N1m each while the runners-up in the media category will be picking up N.5m each.Already, N300, 000, N200,000 and N100,00 have been set aside for the 3rd, 4th and 5th placed finishers respectively in the media category.For those that would be competing outside the media category, they are also going to be handsomely rewarded as the top male and female finishers will be getting N500,000 each.While the runners up in the general category are to get N300,000 each, the 3rd, 4th and 5th placed finishers respectively in this category will get N200, 000, N100, 000 and N50,000 respectively.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The first edition of the Lagos Media Marathon is already taking a global. outlook as foreign nationals from at least seven countries have already entered for the race.Athletes from South Korea, Ghana, United States, United Kingdom, Canada, China and South Africa have thrown in their hat to be part of the historic race fixed for May 1.
Chelsea’s interim manager Guus Hiddink has revealed that he wants Montreal Impact striker Didier Drogba to join his backroom staff at Stamford Bridge.The Premier League champions confirmed Hiddink as their new manager on Saturday until the end of the season following the departure of Jose Mourinho on Thursday.Mourinho parted company with the club for the second time in his career after they suffered their ninth top-flight defeat of the season at table toppers Leicester City.Hiddink oversaw the Blues’ 3-1 win against Sunderland on Saturday from the stands alongside Chelsea owner Roman Abramovic and Drogba, and the former Netherlands coach now wants the former Chelsea forward back in West London despite the Ivory Coast legend currently playing in MLS with Montreal until December 2016.Asked by Fox Sports about Drogba potentially being his assistant, Hiddink replied: “We would like to get him involved. But he still has a contract with Montreal in the MLS, even though it is the close season for them now.”But we definitely intend to get him involved. We want to get important players involved with the club they care about. Drogba’s heart is with Chelsea.” Drogba spent two spells at Chelsea, winning three Premier League titles, the Champions league, four FA Cups and two League Cups between 2004 and 2012.He then returned to West London in 2014 and won another title and League Cup before departing for MLS.Hiddink was previously appointed at Stamford Bridge in February 2009 following the departure of Luiz Felipe Scolari, when he led them to FA Cup glory.Saturday’s win saw Chelsea climb to 15th in the table — three points above the relegation zone, and 11 off a Champions League qualification spot.– Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
The country is on lockdown until at least May 7, but government officials have spoken in positive terms about a potential return for football if the virus is under control.– ‘No football for months’ –Germany’s sports ministers have said the Bundesliga could return next month but Dutch football chiefs have called an end to the Eredivisie season and the Belgian campaign is in the balance.French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe said football would not return in his country until at least September.In the Premier League, full training is reportedly slated for mid-May, with the plan to be discussed at a meeting of stakeholders on Friday.However, Neville is concerned that the Premier League’s desire to conclude the campaign is being driven by financial motives, with the English top flight facing a huge hit if the 92 remaining fixtures are not played.The former England international said if it were a non-economic decision there would be no football for months but he acknowledged that players at lower levels would want to play because the alternative was “bad”.“(A total of) 1,400 players are out of contract in three months so they’ll need football to resume so their livelihoods can continue,” he said.“There’s huge economic loss. It clouds people’s minds in terms of the risk that they’re willing to take.”Share on: WhatsApp Gary Neville fears Premier League players will be put at risk if matches resumeLondon, United Kingdom | AFP | Gary Neville fears Premier League players’ lives will be put at risk if football is rushed back too soon after the coronavirus-enforced lockdown in Britain.Premier League chiefs are aiming for a return to action in June and several clubs opened their training grounds to players this week as they work on “Project Restart”.The English top flight is understood to be aiming to run a huge testing operation to keep footballers safe, with reports of 26,000 tests being lined up for players and staff.But FIFA’s medical chief Michel D’Hooghe said on Tuesday that football should not be played until September and former Manchester United defender Neville is worried that Premier League stars will be put in danger by the rush to return.“The FIFA medical officer said that football should not take place before September. I think if it was a non-economic decision there would be no football for months,” Neville told the Sky Sports Football Show on Wednesday.“People are now assessing risk. How many people have to die playing football in the Premier League before it becomes unpalatable? One? One player? One member of staff goes into intensive care? What risk do we have to take? The discussion is purely economic.”Neville voiced his particular concerns over the risk to players with existing medical conditions.“If health comes first, there is only one outcome at this moment in time. How many players have got asthma? How many players have diabetes?“Have they assessed all of these things and are they willing to put those people at risk?”The UK is among the worst-hit countries in the global COVID-19 pandemic, with more than 21,000 deaths so far.
Elsewhere, players at Chelsea and Norwich as well as Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta tested positive while players at Leicester, Everton and Bournemouth all self-isolated after showing symptoms but clubs did not confirm if they tested positive.Representatives of the Premier League and clubs are due to meet on Monday to discuss the final details of the “Project Restart”, including the organisation of matches behind closed doors, on neutral ground and the extension of player contracts.In Spain, players in the top two divisions were allowed to carry out individual work at training grounds last week at the start of a programme aimed at restarting competition in the middle of June.On Sunday, La Liga said five players and three non-playing individuals had tested positive.The five players, who have not been named, will be quarantined at home and tested again “in the next few days”.La Liga president Javier Tebas said he hopes the tournament can resume on June 12.“I would like it (the season resuming) to be June 12, but it will depend on the numbers,” Tebas told Movistar.“In the end it will be up to the health authorities.– Cases in Italy and Portugal –In Italy’s Serie A, which resumed individual training this week, four Sampdoria players, including one who had previously recovered, and three from Fiorentina have tested positive for coronavirus, the clubs announced on Thursday.Clubs will have to wait until May 18 at the earliest to start group training, and the sports minister warned on Wednesday that it was “impossible to set a definite date” for the resumption of matches.AC Milan technical director Paolo Maldini, who is recovering, and Juventus striker Paulo Dybala, who has been given the all clear, were among the most notable early football victims.In Portugal, three players at top-flight Vitoria Guimaraes have tested positive.They “are clinically healthy, asymptomatic and in quarantine,” the club said in a statement on Saturday.The government announced on April 30 that the first division was authorised to resume from the last weekend in May, behind closed doors and subject to the approval of a health protocol.Share on: WhatsApp On course: German clubs such as Bayern Munich are preparing to kick off on May 16Paris, France | AFP | As European leagues prepare to return from the enforced coronavirus break, screening tests are revealing cases in various championships, although, as yet, not calling into question plans to resume playing.Germany still plans to be the first of the five “big” leagues ahead of Spain, England and Italy – France has declared its season over – to kick off on May 16, behind closed doors, despite the sobering events at Dynamo Dresden.The second-tier club were ordered to self-isolate for 14 days on Saturday after testing uncovered two fresh coronavirus cases.“It’s not a reason to call the entire season into question,” league CEO Christian Seifert told German broadcaster ZDF.“It was always clear to me that this could happen. We’re at the very beginning of the restart.”Seifert warned, however, that further coronavirus cases could jeopardise plans to end the season by June 30.“It can reach a scale where it’s not feasible anymore,” he said. “It would depend on how much time there is left to finish the season.”Matches will be played behind closed doors and with a maximum number of 300 people, including both teams, allowed at each game.In the run-up to the restart, all teams must go into a one-week quarantine training camp.The German league said on Thursday that 1,724 tests at the 36 clubs in the top two divisions conducted in two rounds yielded 10 positives in the first batch and two more in the second.Those include two players and a fitness coach at Cologne and a player and a physiotherapist at Borussia Moenchengladbach, but only the individuals concerned were placed in quarantine and the teams continued training.– Three cases in Brighton, five in Spain –In the English Premier League, which hopes to resume from June to August, a third Brighton player tested positive on Saturday and was placed in isolation, the club’s chief executive Paul Barber told Sky Sports.The player was not named. One Brighton player tested positive in March and another in April and have recovered, the club said“It is a concern,” Barber said.“Despite all of the measures that we’ve been taking over the past few weeks, where the players haven’t been involved in any significant training at all, we’ve still suffered another player testing positive for the virus.”