Tag: 张掖桑拿

Batang Gilas gets tough draw for Fiba U17 World Cup

first_imgScientists seek rare species survivors amid Australia flames Perez rescues Zark’s-Lyceum to force do-or-die in D-League quarters Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Truck driver killed in Davao del Sur road accident Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Green group flags ‘overkill’ use of plastic banderitas in Manila Sto. Niño feast Joining the Philippines and Argentina are No. 8 Croatia and No. 9 France.Batang Gilas made the world championship after escaping Japan on a last-second basket on Friday in the Fiba U16 Asian Championship in China.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownThe team settled for fourth following a 60-54 loss to China in the semifinals and a 76-60 rout at the hands of New Zealand on Sunday.Fiba Asia U16 champion Australia, Puerto Rico, Turkey and Dominican Republic are in Group Al Mali, China, United States and Serbia round out Group B; while Canada, New Zealand, Egypt and Montenegro complete Group B. Jo Koy draws ire for cutting through Cebu City traffic with ‘wang-wang’ Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Photo from Fiba.comThe Philippines has its work cut out for it in the Fiba U17 Basketball World Cup in June.The young Filipinos found themselves slotted among the top ranked teams in the world including host and No. 7 Argentina in Group D.ADVERTISEMENTcenter_img P16.5-M worth of aid provided for Taal Volcano eruption victims — NDRRMC MOST READ LATEST STORIES View comments Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikinalast_img read more

Read more…

Govt to return to tender for Specialty Hospital Project – Dr Norton

first_imgFedders Lloyd blacklistingIn light of Fedders Lloyd Corporation Limited being blacklisted over fraud and corruption practices by the World Bank, Minister of Public Health Dr George Norton said that the government has already taken a decision to discontinue a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed with the Indian-based company and will now put the project to tender.Speaking with Guyana Times on Sunday, Dr Norton said that after learning about the company being blacklisted, the government held a discussion in this regard.An artist’s impression of the Specialty HospitalPublic Health Minister, Dr George Norton“We had a discussion and that discussion would have been as a direct result of what was revealed by the World Bank and that was only revealed recently… We will have to change the company… There is no doubt we will go to tender to get a new company as early as possible,” Dr Norton told this publication.The A Partnership for National Unity/Alliance For Change (APNU/AFC) coalition had ignored a evaluation report compiled under the previous People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) Administration, which disqualified Fedders Lloyd for the same project in 2012, and last year signed an MoU with that company to complete the Specialty Hospital after Surendra Engineering was sacked.Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan, who once provided legal services for Fedders Lloyd, defended the company’s selection by his government, arguing that the company was being victimised by the previous government.The APNU/AFC government had also argued that in the interest of time and without any tendering process, it approached Fedders Lloyd, which was willing to complete and fully equip the medical facility with the remaining US$13.8 million of the US$18 million Line of Credit from the India Exim (Export-Import) Bank.However, in April the New Delhi-based company was blacklisted by the World Bank under its fraud and corruption policy as set forth in the Bank’s Procurement Guidelines or the Consultant Guidelines, forcing the APNU/AFC Administration to sever ties with the company, which had already commenced works on the hospital at Liliendaal, Greater Georgetown.According to the World Bank website, the company has been sanctioned from April 6, 2016 to April 5, 2020 for breaches of the institution’s procurement guidelines in 2004 and in 2010. The guideline, 1.14(a)(ii), under the heading ‘Fraud and Corruption’ states: “Fraudulent practice is any act or omission, including a misrepresentation, that knowingly or recklessly misleads, or attempts to mislead, a party to obtain a financial or other benefit or to avoid an obligation.”Further examination of the World Bank’s notes on the debarred firms and individuals, it explained the company will have to adhere to certain conditions during the period of sanction before it can be allowed to work on projects financed by the institution:“The period of ineligibility of Fedders Lloyd Corporation Limited extends to any legal entity that they directly or indirectly control.The company is ineligible to be awarded Bank-financed contracts for a period of four years.At the end of the Period of Debarment, the Respondent and the Sanctioned Affiliates may be released from debarment, provided that they have met corporate compliance conditions, cooperated with the WBG (World Bank Group) and fully complied with the terms of the NRA.”Last year, the government faced a barrage of criticism for hand-picking Fedders Lloyd, including from the Opposition, People’s Progressive Party/Civic.Following this recent development, a PPP/C official pointed out that had government considered the advice and warnings from the Opposition, this situation would not have arisen and the project would have avoided further delays.The PPP/C official further noted that in effect, the coalition administration had single-sourced the contractor and further alleged that government’s decision may have been influenced by the fact that the company had financed the party as well as individuals.Political commentators Ramon Gaskin and Dr Henry Jeffery had also criticised the government initially for bypassing the public procurement system and handpicking Fedders Lloyd.When contacted on Saturday, they noted that they are not surprised at the fact that the firm has been sanctioned by the World Bank especially since there was complete lack of transparency in the award of the contract to it.Gaskin told this newspaper that Fedders Lloyd is no good in the interest of Guyana; just as the first India-based company, Surendra Engineering, was not. “Surendra was no good – we had a lot of problems with them in terms of money – and Fedders Lloyd is no better… These foreign contractors are bad news,” he asserted.Dr Jeffery outlined that it was unfortunate that foreigners had to become involved in the matter for the right thing to happen: “People have been saying that the contract should have gone to open tender but government failed to do so.”Nevertheless, Dr Jeffery noted that Guyana wins in that the project will now rightfully go to tendering and this should be a lesson learned for the coalition government.Both political commentators also underscored the need for the APNU/AFC administration to take steps to have the Public Procurement Commission established.last_img read more

Read more…