During Lent, Catholics are called on to give up something, like sweets. On Wednesday, Pope Francis added a modern twist to the list of things to quit during the season and beyond: insulting people on social media.The pope made his appeal to tone things down while speaking to tens of thousands of people in St. Peter’s Square for his general audience on Ash Wednesday, the start of the 40-day season that leads up to Easter.Lent, he said in partially improvised remarks, “is a time to give up useless words, gossip, rumors, tittle-tattle and speak to God on a first name basis,” he said. “We live in an atmosphere polluted by too much verbal violence, too many offensive and harmful words, which are amplified by the internet,” he said. “Today, people insult each other as if they were saying ‘Good Day.'”In recent years, Francis himself has been the butt of insults from ultra-conservative Catholic websites and mostly anonymous anti-pope Twitter feeds.Twitter has also become a platform for sometimes pitched verbal battles between his supporters and detractors.Later on Wednesday, Francis was due to have ashes rubbed on his forehead at a traditional Ash Wednesday service that reminds Christians of mortality and that everyone will someday become dust.During Lent, which is marked by repentance, fasting and reflection, the faithful are also called on to practice more good deeds, such as alms giving, and to be particularly closer to the needy.Topics :
The only way Coutinho will leave the Camp Nou this summer is if a club comes in with a huge offer to sign him permanently. However, in the current economic climate, the chances of that happening are practically impossible. Bayern Munich refused to pay the 120 million euro option to buy after the 28-year-old’s loan in Bavaria expired at the end of last season. Read Also: PSG thought about buying Messi- LeonardoKoeman now has an extra reinforcement for his squad and plans to use Coutinho as a central midfielder this time around.Under Ernesto Valverde, the former Liverpool player was used as a winger – where he wasn’t able to perform to his high standards.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Philippe Coutinho is set to remain a Barcelona player this season. According to Marca, Ronald Koeman has told the club that he wants to keep the Brazilian, who had been listed on the market for some months. Now, Barcelona have ruled out the possibility of the midfielder leaving on loan for the coming campaign.Advertisement Promoted Content9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoo7 Non-Obvious Things That Damage Your Phone10 Places On Our Planet Where The Most People Live5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually True7 Universities In The World Where Education Costs Too Much5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The World2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year14 Hilarious Comics Made By Women You Need To Follow Right Now13 kids at weddings who just don’t give a hoot7 Things That Actually Ruin Your Phone
Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho could again face questions over his treatment of former club doctor Eva Carneiro after Football Association chairman Greg Dyke criticised the Portuguese’s handling of the incident. Mourinho is due to conduct his pre-match press conference on Friday afternoon ahead of the clash with Southampton and may choose to respond to Dyke’s assertions. The letter was sent following Wednesday’s FA board meeting, since when independent board member Heather Rabbatts launched a stinging attack on the FA for its “seriously disappointing” handling of the Carneiro case. Dyke’s letter makes clear his misgivings over Mourinho’s behaviour. Carneiro was dropped from first-team duties after an incident on the opening day of the season when she was criticised by Mourinho for going on to the pitch to treat Eden Hazard. She has since parted company with Chelsea. Dyke says in the letter: “There have been some well-documented issues of late around equality and inclusion in the game, an issue where it is vital we continue to show clear leadership. “I felt the handling of the case of the Chelsea doctor, Eva Carneiro, was a good example of this. We supported Heather Rabbatts’ strong statement on the matter earlier in the month. “Personally I don’t think Mr Mourinho comes well out of the whole saga – he clearly made a mistake in the heat of a game, and should have said so and apologised. “Instead he has said very little and Miss Carneiro has lost her job. “Our regulatory team have investigated this and whilst Mr Mourinho has breached no rules it was clearly a failure of his personal judgement and public behaviour. This should be seen as such by the game.” Mourinho was earlier this week cleared of using discriminatory language towards Carneiro in Chelsea’s opening Premier League game of the season against Swansea. But Dyke said – in a letter to FA council members, a copy of which has been obtained by Press Association Sport – that Mourinho committed “a failure of his personal judgement and public behaviour”. Rabbatts, head of the FA’s inclusion advisory board, said she had “major concerns” regarding the FA’s disciplinary process which saw Mourinho cleared. It has emerged that the FA did not ask to interview Carneiro, although it is understood it asked her lawyers if they wished to provide any evidence. Rabbatts told Press Association Sport: “The FA’s reaction to the treatment of Dr Eva Carneiro has been seriously disappointing. I have major concerns over the way in which the disciplinary process has been conducted and the lack of an organisational response to the wider issues raised by this case. “We had an announcement late (on Wednesday) relating to a high-profile incident which occurred on August 8 and yet it would appear that during that time no witnesses were requested to speak to the FA, including Dr Carneiro, and in the course of the investigation some media were reporting it was likely that no charge was to be brought.” Press Association
Ludogorets Razgrad must play Real Madrid in its Champions League group-stage home debut with a stadium section closed because of fans’ racist behaviour.UEFA says its disciplinary panel imposed sanctions after incidents when Ludogorets eliminated Steaua Bucharest in a playoff last week.Steaua was also punished for fans’ racist behaviour and must play a Europa League match in an empty stadium.Ludogorets hosts Madrid on October 1 in the National Stadium, Sofia. Its own ground does not meet UEFA standards.UEFA fined Ludogorets 16,000 Euros ($A24,000) for fans invading the field and the team receiving at least five yellow cards.UEFA ordered Steaua to play Aalborg on September 18 without fans, for their second racist offense this season. Steaua was fined 64,500 Euros ($A96,745) for the racism and other offenses.UEFA operates an escalating scale of sanctions with further racism incidents provoking full stadium closures, leading to possible disqualification from competitions.”All forms of racist behaviour are considered serious offences against the disciplinary regulations and are punished with the most severe sanctions,” UEFA said.