Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Share Tweet 44 Views no discussions Share Share HealthLifestyle HIV carriers in Caribbean and Latin America now 1.6 million by: – April 6, 2011 PANAMA CITY, Panama — The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) says there are about 1.6 million people in Latin American and the Caribbean carrying the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) that can cause the deadly disease AIDS.In releasing the findings of a new report for the state of HIV/AIDS, UNAIDS regional director Cesar Nunez said the region has not registered any improvement in the fight against the spread of HIV/AIDS.CMC reported that he urged governments to increase efforts to combat the spread of HIV, suggesting that work should be focused on prevention among younger people and at schools.“At this time of crisis, let us optimise the means and let us not fall into complacence,” he said.Nunez said, however, the region has the “best coverage of medicine available of HIV carriers” noting that about 51% of those living with the virus have access to HID/AIDS medicine.Source: Caribbean News Now! Sharing is caring!
Barcelona reportedly have an agreement in place to sign Neymar this summer, after striking a deal to block a move to Real Madrid in 2019.Advertisement Loading… According to reports from Mundo Deportivo, the Catalan giants told Neymar’s representatives they would sign him in the summer of 2020, if they could not complete a deal with PSG ahead of the 2019-20 season.The report states Barcelona acted to ward off growing interest from Los Blancos, and assure Neymar they wanted to facilitate a return to the Camp Nou.However, La Blaugrana are now under pressure to fulfil the reported transfer, with Neymar keen to push through an exit from the Ligue 1 side.Read Also: Barcelona look to free agent signings amid coronavirus pandemicThe French club have reportedly lowered their asking price from €200M to €150M for the 28-year old, in a bid to end speculation on his future.The new price could encourage Barcelona to sign him, but due to the financial pressure created by the Covid 19 lock down, the La Liga leaders may look to bring the fee down even further.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享
Dancehall artiste, Vera Hamenoo- Kpeda better known on stage as MzVee, has condemned the way in which the Sports Ministry communicated their decision to slash down Black Stars winning bonuses. “I don’t think [the Ministry’s stance that the team should] take it or leave it is nice. It’s quite harsh. [The players] have placed Ghana on the map to a point and you can’t just abruptly tell them something like that.”It has to be a gradual thing. You can’t just get up one day and tell them that this is what is going to happen.” MzVee was speaking on Asempa FM’s Saturday sports show, Ladies’ Time.Last week, it emerged that the Sports Ministry was planning a 50% downward adjustment of the Stars’ winning bonuses to $5,000. Widespread media reports say the ministry will ask not comfortable with new bonus scheme to quit the team. “People are moving from the Black Stars and playing for other teams and they are making so much money so if you are making them feel this way on their own home turf, it’s very insulting.” “People are going to start running away and we don’t want that so [the authorities] should try and be reasonable,” she concluded.An official announcement of the widely-reported bonus cuts is expected soon.–Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports According to her, apart from the fact the decision was made without prior notice to the players, telling them to take the new amount or quit the team is quite insulting.
Dodgers hit seven home runs, sweep Colorado Rockies He walked 69 times during his struggles of 2018. There were times when he dropkicked at-bats. In 2019 those times have been previous and few. When he came out with two outs and nobody on in the fifth inning, the Dodgers leading tenuously by one run, he performed a rare feat at the expense of left-hander Patrick Corbin.He fell behind 0-and-2. Then he took a slider down-and-away. And another. And another. And a fourth one. It was only the third time Bellinger had converted an 0-and-2 count into a walk. Max Muncy, who walked 90 times for the Dodgers, only did it three times. And it had not happened to Corbin all year.It is the kind of turnaround only seen in professional wrestling. You’re writhing in pain at the pitcher’s mercy, and somehow you rise like The Undertaker and apply the hammerlock. It is charted avidly by all batting coaches. And it deserves to be rewarded, the way it was here.Chris Taylor scorched a drive that Anthony Rendon heroically smothered, and beat it out. Bellinger, reading the situation on the run, got to third base. When first baseman Howie Kendrick failed to get his glove down for a grounder, this one briskly hit by Muncy, Bellinger scored and the Dodgers led 2-0 with Walker Buehler straddling the Dodger Stadium mound as if he owned it, which he might someday. “When he (Corbin) has command of that slider, he can make you think you can hit it, and then he can expand on that,” Muncy said. “Tonight he didn’t have as good a command, and we did a good job of not chasing, and eventually we were trying to keyhole him and it worked out.”“Keyholing” means the hitters narrowed their gaze to a particular spot and did not release until a ball arrived there. Again, it takes time and confidence to be that counter-intuitive.Meanwhile, it wasn’t Kendrick’s ideal homecoming. The distinguished former Angel and Dodger, still line-driving at age 35, got charged for two errors at first base, where he had made only one all season.“I wouldn’t change anything about the way I went about that,” Kendrick said. “You’re not going to make every play. You just have to suck it up and try to make it up on the other end. Thanks to the way Buehler and those guys pitched, we weren’t able to do that tonight.”At least the Nationals know that if they’re so insistent on losing, the Dodgers won’t stand in their way. The Dodgers chased only 28.3 percent of the pitches they saw outside the strike zone this season, which was the best mark in the NL. They walked seven times on Thursday. You don’t usually win playoff games when you’re 1 for 8 with men in scoring position, but Buehler and the bullpen squelched Washington with 13 strikeouts and gave up only two hits, and the Dodgers feasted liberally on the Nationals’ bullpen. When Joc Pederson and rookie Gavin Lux went deep in the eighth, it meant that Hunter Strickland, who unfortunately is not paid by the foot, had given up eight home runs in 11-2/3 postseason innings for his career.If you’d told Corbin he would give the Dodgers three hits in six innings and strike out nine, he would have been fine with it, and, incidentally, not surprised. But their four walks in the first inning indicated their trust, patience and confidence, all those interview-room words that resound in the fall.“I thought mechanically I was rushing a little bit,” Corbin said. “I thought I was cutting my fastball a little too much before I could get it straightened out. I had to keep my shoulder in and keep from pulling off. That’s why it was cutting.“On the walk, they were all good sliders. They were closer than the ones I threw him in the previous at-bat when he swung. He probably went inside and saw something (on video). They were good takes on good pitches. Later in the game, they were trying to lay off a little bit more and I was able to sneak some fastballs by. But even the lefties they have are tough.”Will Smith, the Dodgers catcher and one of four rookies who made the NLDS roster, watched from the dugout.“That was a very good at-bat,” Smith said. “He (Bellinger) spit on some good pitches. When you get down 0-and-2 you just have to keep battling, foul some off, make sure you don’t fall into his trap.”It was another maximum night in the postseason for Muncy, whose home run won the 18-inning World Series game with Boston last October.His first-inning walk brought in the first run, he adeptly drilled a ground ball through the shift-vacated third base position for a base hit, and then his grounder through Kendrick made it 2-0.Related Articles Fire danger is on Dave Roberts’ mind as Dodgers head to San Francisco Dodgers’ Max Muncy trying to work his way out of slow start How Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling topped the baseball podcast empire Cody Bellinger homer gives Dodgers their first walkoff win of season LOS ANGELES — When the other guys are trying to give you a baseball game, let them.When they’re digging the hole right to the point where it intersects with the gas line, just stand back.The Dodgers were proactive enough Thursday night in Game 1 of the National League Division Series, but they made sure to provide Washington with enough rope. They didn’t punish all the mistakes and deficiencies, but they won 6-0 and nobody summarized their immense comfort in this theater of combat more than 24-year-old Cody Bellinger.Bellinger walked 95 times this year for the walking-est team in the National League. It is one of the reasons he’s likely to put an NL MVP trophy on the coffee table next month, next to the 2017 NL Rookie of the Year award. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error