Tags Google will continue to work with Huawei for now. Getty Google said Tuesday it will continue working with Huawei for 90 days, after the US government announced it’s temporarily scaling back trade restrictions on the Chinese smartphone maker.On Monday, the US Commerce Department said it’s creating a general license that for now lets Huawei keep existing networks and issue updates to its phones and tablets. The reprieve is meant to give US companies time to figure out longer-term solutions and to protect consumers from security risks. The license expires on August 19. “Keeping phones up to date and secure is in everyone’s best interests and this temporary license allows us to continue to provide software updates and security patches to existing models for the next 90 days,” a Google spokesperson said in a statement. Huawei didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. Now playing: Watch this: Comments Huawei P30 Pro vs. Galaxy S10 Plus: Editors react Phones Share your voice 6:54 Google’s decision not to cut ties with Huawei, the second largest smartphone company in the world, is a reversal of plans it announced earlier this week after the Trump administration effectively banned Huawei from the US, restricting the company’s access to US components and software. For Google, that meant suspending some business with Huawei, a key partner for its Android mobile operating system. Google reportedly said that it would stop providing Huawei with customer support and that upcoming versions of Huawei’s phones outside China would no longer get access to Google’s Play Store app marketplace and its marquee slate of services, including YouTube and Google Maps. Huawei, though, would still have access to the open-source version of Android without Google services. It’s unclear what Google will do after the 90-day license expires. Read: Samsung has the most to gain from Google putting Huawei on ice 4 Google Huawei Alphabet Inc.
How strong is Germany’s Greek resolve?153 viewsHow strong is Germany’s Greek resolve?153 views00:00 / 00:00- 00:00:0000:00How strong is Germany’s Greek resolve?153 viewsBusinessThey need a thaw – and not just in Athens. The relationship between Greece and Germany is becoming increasingly frosty. (SOUNDBITE) (Greek) UNIDENTIFIED ATHENS RESIDENT SAYING: “It is difficult,Ventuno Web Player 4.50They need a thaw – and not just in Athens. The relationship between Greece and Germany is becoming increasingly frosty. (SOUNDBITE) (Greek) UNIDENTIFIED ATHENS RESIDENT SAYING: “It is difficult,
With the recent acquisition of Pipavav Defence, Reliance Group chairman Anil Ambani announced on Thursday that an additional investment of Rs.5,000 crore will be made as part of India’s emphasis on “Make in India” for military hardware and cut imports.He also underscored the need for larger public-private partnerships in the defence domain, and called for pooling of resources so that India becomes self-reliant in protecting its boundaries and cuts reduces its dependence on the global markets.Quoting extensively from the experiences he gained from his late father, the legendary industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani, the Reliance Group chairman said his father’s vision was to meet the aspirations of generations with self reliance, adding that the Make in India initiative of Prime Minister Narendra Modi is a major step towards that.”This initiative of the government redefines the defence ecosystem in India with our Navy in the lead… For a country with one of the longest coastlines in the region and vast expanse of territories over the seas, self reliance in naval capabilities is an ever challenging imperative,” he said.The Reliance Group chairman said the acquisition of the Pipavav Defence Company in Gujarat with assets worth more than Rs.10,000 crore was his company’s contribution towards self reliance.”Pipavav has the largest dry dock in the country and the second largest in the world. With more than 30 lakh sq ft of covered area for fabrication and integration alone, this is perhaps the largest single location defence manufacturing facility in India,” he said.”We will invest an additional Rs.5,000 crore over the next few years as part of our commitment towards indigenisation efforts.”He said that the Pipavav facility will be capable to deliver “all requirements of the Indian Navy from frigates to aircraft carriers to submarines”.Russia, meanwhile, has chosen Pipav as a partner to build three updated versions of Talwar-class frigates, likely to be the biggest-ever warship-building project for private sector in India worth around $3-$3.5 crore.Ambani said self reliance in defence is also needed so that India does not have to compromise on its foreign policy.”Large part of our Defence inventory have dependency on global relations. This creates limitations and sub-serves our foreign policy. Self-reliance gives us the flexibility to pursue our foreign policy objectives,” he said.He said since the sole consumer for domestic defence hardware was the government, “specific measures towards ease of doing business will encourage industry participation”. Accordingly, he suggested an advisory committee with chief executives from public and private sectors to meet regulary to “align and converge the understanding and aspirations of all stakeholders”.”There is need to institutionalise private sector participation not only for indigenisation but the entire spectrum of defence production through groups comprising Private Sector companies and PSUs at MoD to pool resources,” he said also suggesting a separate joint secretary in the defence ministry for the private sector.”Today, in the ministry of Defence we have joint secretaries responsible for different public sector undertakings. I believe there is a case for a joint secretary exclusively to engage at the business level with the private sector,” he said.Ambani also expressed hope that the updated defence procurement procedure (DPP) will help “in ease of doing business with MoD… Transparent, fair procedures and processes creates a favourable climate, encourage competitiveness and eventually deliver the best overall value for the country,” he said.Another suggestion from the industrialist was to introduce courses at IITs, IIMs and other higher learning institution related to the requirements of the defence industry.
A Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) interceptor is launched during a successful intercept test, in this undated handout photo provided by the US Department of Defense, Missile Defense Agency. Reuters file photoChina and Russia have agreed to take further unspecified “countermeasures” in response to a US plan to deploy an anti-missile system in South Korea, state news agency Xinhua reported on Friday.The countermeasures “will be aimed at safeguarding interests of China and Russia and the strategic balance in the region”, Xinhua said, citing a statement released after a China-Russia security meeting.China and Russia held a joint anti-missile drill last May after Washington and Seoul began discussions over installing the US Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system to counter any North Korean threats.THAAD is now due to be deployed on a South Korean golf course, unsettling Moscow and Beijing, which worry that the system’s powerful radar will compromise their security and do nothing to lower tensions on the Korean peninsula.China and Russia said in October they would hold a second drill this year.“China and Russia urged the United States and South Korea to address their security concerns and stop the deployment of THAAD on the Korean Peninsula,” Xinhua quoted the statement as saying.North Korea’s drive to develop nuclear weapons capability has angered China, Pyongyang’s sole major diplomatic and economic supporter. However, Beijing fears THAAD and its radar have a range that would extend into China.On Thursday, South Korea’s trade minister said the South might complain to China about actions perceived to have been taken in retaliation for its decision to deploy the US anti-missile system.