New Delhi: The DDA on Tuesday held the draw of lots for its Housing Scheme 2019 for which only 10,294 flats were put on offer, out of the original kitty of nearly 18,000 units.Even in the final draw of lots, out of 10,294, only 8,438 flats were alloted in various categories from 45,012 applicants, a senior official told reporters. “The original total quantum of 17,921 flats was reduced to 10,294 as very less number of people applied for flats in Narela, especially in the EWS category,” another senior official said. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderThe scheme, which is completely online had ended on June 10, and was for sale of nearly 18,000 newly-built flats in Delhi’s Vasant Kunj and Narela residential areas, for which the DDA had received about 50,000 applications, the urban body had earlier said. “People had the option to mark seven choices, depending on flat types and area, and less flats were picked in random computer-based draw of lots, as many applicants did not choose Narela options,” the official said. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsThe draw of lots for the scheme was held at the Conference Room of Vikas Sadan, and the process was streamed live on the web through the DDA website. The draw of lots started at 12:30 pm and lasted for over an hour. Saroj Yadav, an applicant in the disabled category, was the first one to be picked up as an overall successful allottee, and got an MIG flat on ground floor in Vasant Kunj. Ved Prakash Thakur was the first successful allottee in the general category, who got a flat on fifth floor in Vasant Kunj. Persons with disability are given first preference in the draw of lots to get the ground floor, the DDA official said The draw of lots was held in the presence of retired high court judge, justice S N Aggarwal, Prof Anshul Kumar of IIT-Delhi and Deputy Director General of NIC Vishnu Chandra, he said.
VANCOUVER – The union representing postal workers wants Canada Post to release the number of community mailboxes that have been broken into across the country.Mike Palecek, national president of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers, said he’s frustrated by the Crown corporation’s unwillingness to share how frequently mail theft occurs.“We know it’s a problem and we know it’s a big problem,” Palecek said Monday in an interview. “We’re trying to find out how big so we can look for solutions.”The union has campaigned for the restoration of door-to-door service since the former Conservative government announced in 2013 it would be cutting the service. The Liberals campaigned in the last federal election to restore home delivery, and the results of a review into the future of Canada Post are expected to be released later this year.Palecek said that while exact numbers are unavailable, anecdotal reports from postal workers indicate that mail sent to between 1,500 and 4,000 addresses in Richmond, B.C., is being held.That could be for a variety of reasons, including break-ins to apartment panels or damaged community mailboxes, he said.“We’re just trying to know what we’re dealing with here. This should be a simple question.”Canada Post spokesman Jon Hamilton disputed the union’s claims, saying there are only 1,000 townhomes in Richmond that are without postal service, and none of them receive mail via community mailboxes.All of those addresses are part of a single development where private mailboxes were vandalized and have yet to be repaired, he said, adding that the boxes are the responsibility of the residents association.“We take security of the mail very seriously,” Hamilton said, adding that Canada Post does not release statistics on mailbox theft or vandalism because of security concerns.“We work with police so there’s no secret. It’s just we don’t provide those publicly.”Canada Post doesn’t want to encourage thefts and doesn’t discuss security measures it puts in place, he said.Home delivery started to be phased out in 2015, but the Liberals stopped the process pending the review of Canada Post’s operations.— Follow @gwomand on Twitter
Vision Mercedes-Maybach Ultimate Luxury concept is breathtaking Post a comment More From Roadshow More about 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS450 Review • 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS450 review: Normcore sensibility for the Neiman Marcus set Share your voice Future Cars Luxury cars SUVs Superluxury Cars 2016 Mercedes-Maybach S600 review: Let it semi-autonomously chauffeur your chauffeur 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLS-Class first drive: ‘The S-Class of SUVs’ earns its title Tags 2019 Mercedes-Benz S560 Coupe review: Still the luxury benchmark 0 18 Photos Preview • 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS-Class is a smooth makeover for the brand’s largest SUV Mercedes-Benz Enlarge ImageDon’t expect that car-like rear end to show up on the production version. Even Mercedes-Maybach has its limits. Mercedes-Benz Mercedes-Benz plans to lean on its Maybach sub-brand to help the automaker compete against a growing contingent of super-luxury SUVs like the Bentley Bentayga and Rolls-Royce Cullinan. And now we know where it will be built.The upcoming Mercedes-Maybach SUV will be built in Alabama, Automotive News reports. With an estimated price around $200,000, that this super-SUV would become the most expensive vehicle manufactured in the US, a title currently held by the $159,300 Acura NSX. Before production begins, it’s expected to make its formal debut in China later this year.The upcoming Maybach SUV will be based on the same platform as the new generation of Mercedes-Benz GLS-Class, which will also be unveiled this year. Both vehicles will be built alongside the GLE-Class and C-Class at the Mercedes-Benz US International facility, which was first announced in 1993 and got its start building the automaker’s M-Class SUV. Eventually, the facility will also be responsible for electric vehicles, and the automaker is investing $1 billion in preparation for this new addition.Mercedes-Benz announced its aspirations to build this properly plush SUV last year, when it introduced the Vision Mercedes-Maybach Ultimate Luxury concept at the Auto China show in Beijing. It was a wild thing, with a car-like top half seemingly grafted to an SUV’s bottom half. A properly regal interior complemented the insane exterior styling, with quilted leather, rose-gold accents or wood trim with embedded LEDs on just about every surface. Its powertrain consisted of four electric motors that combined to produce 750 horsepower.Later in 2018, Mercedes let slip additional details about what to expect in a production version. It will reportedly feature an improved version of the automaker’s Magic Body Control suspension, which uses cameras proactively adjust the suspension ahead of bumps and potholes. The automaker is also reportedly working on a “chauffeur-focused” driving mode that minimizes shifts in order to translate less movement to the cabin. Talk about prioritizing comfort over all else. Mercedes-Benz
0 Here’s everything that 5G can do for you 5:13 How to solve the rural broadband problem? Fix the maps FCC Chairman Ajit Pai, a Republican, said that it’s important to get the funds allocated as soon as possible and that the agency couldn’t afford to wait for the new mapping plan to take effect. The new Rural Digital Opportunity Fund will essentially replace the Connect America Fund II auction for distributing USF money to rural carriers. The new fund will establish a two-phase reverse auction starting next year that will allow carriers to bid on the rights to use the funds to provide broadband and voice service in underserved high-cost areas, such as rural communities. The lowest bid wins the auction. Unlike the FCC’s Connect America Fund II auction, in which incumbent carriers got first dibs on deciding whether to serve a given area, the new fund will be available to any company, including cable providers or public utilities, that propose building a broadband network. Fixing broadband mapsEven though the FCC is moving forward with the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund using existing broadband mapping criteria, the agency acknowledged its data collection program is flawed. And it voted to approve a long-awaited plan to improve the data it collects. Under the new proposal, broadband providers will be required to offer more detailed information on where they provide coverage and where they do not. The idea is to create a new map that will offer more “precise broadband service availability maps,” Pai said.The FCC’s current broadband maps have been widely criticized as inaccurate, showing broadband service in places where there isn’t and in other instances saying a location has no broadband when in fact it does, sometimes from multiple providers. We need maps before money. We need data before deployment. FCC commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel Tags Now playing: Watch this: These faulty maps have infuriated lawmakers who have been flooded with complaints from constituents, but the lack of visibility has also hampered the FCC’s efforts to distribute limited funds to help bring broadband to the 19 million people in this country, who still lack access even as the service is considered as important as water or electricity.Under the new plan, broadband providers will have to report broadband access using “shapefiles,” which will provide a more precise and detailed measurement. The current data collection includes information reported at the census block level, which counts an entire area as served even if only one household reports having broadband access. “We will no longer count everyone in the census block as served if just one person is served,” Pai said.The FCC will also collect feedback from the public and other agencies to ensure that the information provided by service providers is accurate. The three Republican commissioners supported the plan, but the two Democrats partially dissented. Rosenworcel said that the new proposal was a first step and that the agency still has a long way to go to gain public trust in its broadband data accuracy. She noted concerns over how the agency will push broadband providers to report accurate data. The trade group USTelecom, which represents many of the providers offering broadband in rural communities, applauded the FCC’s new mechanism for allocating USF funds for rural broadband, and the agency’s efforts to get more accurate broadband mapping information. The organization worked with several other groups to launch a two-state pilot in Virginia and Missouri in March to demonstrate how the FCC can identify where broadband can be offered and to determine which areas still lack broadband access. The group said that initial results of this study confirm the FCC’s assessment that its current process shows “serious discrepancies” in coverage. “Logically, in order for us (and the FCC) to declare mission accomplished [in closing the digital divide], we need to know which consumers do, and do not, have access to broadband,” Patrick Halley, senior vice president of advocacy and regulatory affairs for USTelecom, said in a blog post on Wednesday. “As the Commission’s draft data collection item acknowledges, the agency’s existing broadband availability data is ‘not sufficient to understanding where universal service support should be targeted and supporting the imperative of our broadband-deployment policy goals.'”Microsoft’s chief data analytics officer, John Kahan, wrote in a blog post on Wednesday that he is encouraged that many of the suggestions the FCC has considered mirrors those proposed by the company. Microsoft is working with USTelecom on its pilot program, too. But he acknowledged more work is needed to close the digital divide. “Based on our data, about half of all Americans are not using the internet at broadband speeds at home,” he said. “This digital divide should be seen for the national crisis it is — without equal access to connectivity, we cannot provide equal opportunities to all Americans.”Other FCC mattersThe FCC also voted on several other items at the August meeting. One big one was the approval of new rules to go after illegal robocallers based overseas. The rules extend the Truth in Caller ID Act to text messages or international calls as intended under the passage of Ray Baum’s Act last year.According to the FCC, that act gives it the authority to broaden bans on illegal spoofing to text messages, calls originating outside the US and calls using voice over IP. The Truth in Caller ID Act, passed in 2009, already prohibits misleading or inaccurate caller ID “spoofing” with the intent to defraud for domestic callers, the agency said. But it doesn’t apply to text messages or international calls. Share your voice Mobile FCC Chairman Ajit Pai has traveled throughout the US talking to people about the digital divide in rural communities. On one of those trips, he met with farmers in Idaho. FCC The Republican-led Federal Communications Commission voted Thursday to adopt a new mechanism for distributing subsidies to rural broadband providers. But Democrats want to see better data from a new broadband mapping effort first.At the agency’s August meeting, the FCC voted on two related items that commissioners say will help close the digital divide. First, the five-member commission unanimously voted to distribute more than $20 billion of Universal Service Fund subsidies over the next decade as part of the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund. It also adopted a long-awaited proposal to get more detailed information from broadband providers about where they offer service in order to improve the agency’s coverage maps. While the two items largely had bipartisan support, the two Democrat. They want more accurate mapping data before allocating any new funds to rural broadband providers. “The decisions we make now will direct funds for broadband for the next decade,” said Rosenworcel. “So choosing where those funds go for the next ten years without having accurate data is a real problem. … We need maps before money. We need data before deployment.” Post a comment 16 Photos FCC
Lady Davina Windsor (2nd L) walks arm in arm with her newly wed husband, Gary Lewis, outside the chapel at Kensington Palace.Getty imagesAs Prince Harry and Meghan Markle make preparations to move to Frogmore Cottage, Buckingham Palace has confirmed that there will be a royal divorce.Palace officials have announced that Lady Davina Windsor and Gary Lewis have decided to part ways after 14 years of marriage. Though the reason behind the separation has not been revealed, it is speculated that Lady Davina and Lewis’ different background is one of the causes, Hello! reported.Lady Davina Windsor is the elder daughter of Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester, and his wife Birgitte, Duchess of Gloucester. She was 30th in the line of succession to the British throne as of June 2018. Duke of Gloucester is the first cousin of Queen Elizabeth II.The couple met each other during a trip to Bali in 2000 and got married at the private chapel in Kensington Palace in 2004. They have two kids – Senna Kowhai, 8, and Tane Mahuta, 6. Meghan MarkleGetty ImagesDavina and Lewis used to stay in Auckland for some time during their marriage and lived a low-key lifestyle. The couple seldom comes out in public but appeared at the Trooping the Colour ceremony and were also present at the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s royal wedding.Prince Harry and Prince William used to have a lot of fun with Lady Davina and her sister Lady Rose Windsor and they were all photographed together many times.The news of their separation comes ahead of Prince Harry and Markle’s move. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will continue to receive support from Kensington Palace until they have settled. And because of this separation, it has been rumoured that the charity, Royal Foundation which is Prince Harry, Prince William, Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle’s will be affected.It has also been reported that Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s marriage is in trouble. The couple also had their first ‘out and out disagreement’ when Meghan’s friend defended her from her critics in an American celebrity magazine, a gesture that Harry would have disapproved if he knew about it before.
Courtesy – FW HeritageA home in Houston’s First Ward that was restored by FW Heritage. Listen 00:00 /12:49 We all know the adage about Houston: that we’re not the best at preserving buildings with history and character and that we’d rather just bulldoze them for a brand new strip mall or mid-rise apartment complex.Well, a Houston couple originally from Malaysia is trying to do something about that phenomenon in one neighborhood.Over the last few years, Dominic Yap and his wife, Lin Chong, have bought and restored more than a dozen different historic homes in Houston’s First Ward. They even started a company, called FW Heritage, once the hobby turned into a full-time passion for them both.Dominic oversees the structural renovation while Lin works on the interior and style elements. Plus, she’s a real estate agent and handles the sale of the house once it’s done.In 2017, Michael Hagerty visited with the couple at a home whose renovation is almost complete. He learned about the challenges of trying to preserve historic homes in the Bayou City.MORE:Houston’s First Ward is Flourishing, But Not Without Some Friction (Houston Chronicle, April 23, 2014)Preserving the First Ward (Houston Chronicle, April 23, 2014)– / 7 X To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Share
No Canadian passport? Don’t try flying back into Canada as of Sept. 30 Tags: Canadian TORONTO — If you have clients who are dual citizens, take note: starting Sept. 30 these travellers will need a Canadian passport to fly back into Canada, reflecting new policy from the federal government.Currently dual citizens flying back into Canada only need to show their passport from one country. A traveller who holds both Canadian and U.S. citizenship, for example, can right now use their U.S. passport to gain entry back into Canada, as long as they also show proof of residency in Canada (like a driver’s license).According to reports in the Toronto Star, that will all change on Sept. 30, when dual citizens must have a Canadian passport to get back into the country. The new policy is part of Canada’s new electronic screening system, and so far only applies to air travel.Some are calling the move a cash grab, and discriminatory. But Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada spokesperson Lindsay Wemp told the Star that a valid Canadian passport is the only acceptable travel document for the purpose of air travel. “As the government does not want Canadians to face travel-related delays, we strongly encourage all Canadian citizens to travel using a valid Canadian passport.”More news: Air Canada’s global sales update includes Managing Director, Canada & USA SalesIt’s estimated that close to one million Canadians have citizenship for more than one country. Travelweek Group Posted by << Previous PostNext Post >> Share Thursday, August 18, 2016