More than a few magazine and media executives spent the holidays putting the finishing touches on deal closures. We’re only 3 weeks into January and there’s been a flurry of M&A action—from decently big deals to small. Here’s a recap:Today of course Meredith announced it’s buying Allrecipes.com from Reader’s Digest Association, advancing a deep dive strategy into the food vertical as fast as RDA is pulling away from it, having also bought Everyday With Rachael Ray from them. The deal closely followed Meredith’s acquisition of FamilyFun from Disney Publishing earlier in the month. Harry Stagnito has sold Stagnito Media to private equity firm Topspin LBO, which also owns his son’s Vermont-based Moose River Media. The deal, says Stagnito, will allow the company to build out its marketing services and data and information products. Edwin V. Avent’s Heart & Soul magazine has been sold to a group of investors called Brown Curry Detry Taylor & Associates. BCDT’s principals all have direct ties to the magazine, having worked for it in one capacity or another.Hanley Wood is now owned by Oaktree Capital Management, Strategic Value Partners and Tennenbaum Capital Partners after going through a major recapitalization, cutting its debt from $410 million to $80 million.In a retreat from the U.S. market, Future plc sold its U.S. group’s Music Division, including 3 magazines, to NewBay Media for $3 million. Revenues for the group in Future’s fiscal 2011 were about $13 million. Grand View Media has taken over management of Shooting Sports Retailer magazine. While not technically a sale, Grand View may have an option to buy after a certain period of time and certain performance goals are met.F+W Media is expanding its food vertical coverage, too. It bought World Tea Media, which produces the World Tea Expo as well as associated editorial products. Vibe Holdings has been merged with BlackBook Media and Access Network, forming Vibe Media. The combined entity will be owned by the Yucaipa Johnson Fund, backed by Ron Burkle and Earvin “Magic” Johnson, and InterMedia Partners.Bangor Metro, a regional magazine serving the Bangor, Maine region, has been sold to Cashman Asset Management.
Share your voice Aug 31 • iPhone XR vs. iPhone 8 Plus: Which iPhone should you buy? More about 2019 BMW Z4 sDrive30i Roadster 2020 Hyundai Palisade review: Posh enough to make Genesis jealous Aug 31 • iPhone 11, Apple Watch 5 and more: The final rumors 2020 Toyota Supra is a divisive devil in red Auto Tech See All Preview • 2019 BMW Z4: Reinvigorating the roadster Apple 2020 Toyota Supra review: A solid sports car that’s rife with controversy BMW Aug 31 • Your phone screen is gross. Here’s how to clean it Enlarge ImageIf you’re feeling left out, you can always park your car in a Faraday cage. That should provide about the same experience. BMW When it was rumored that BMW would be moving to an annual subscription for Apple CarPlay, we called it “next-level gouging.” It’s not a move anyone really appreciates, but now, an unforeseen connection between various services reportedly left some BMW owners without CarPlay for a spell, which is even more frustrating.A problem with BMW’s ConnectedDrive online services caused some owners to lose Apple CarPlay functionality for a brief period of time. Without the service online to confirm the car’s subscription, owners last week found themselves missing the smartphone-mirroring system that they paid cold, hard cash for, Engadget reported Friday.By the end of last week, Engadget says, most users had seen the functionality return as ConnectedDrive’s services came back online. In the US, a BMW spokesperson told Engadget that a server migration was to blame, but it was working to get everything back up and running as quickly as possible. BMW first announced its decision in January. It was the first automaker to take Apple CarPlay and shift it from a one-time $300 purchase to an annual $80 subscription. BMW said this move added flexibility, so iPhone-toting owners won’t feel like they lost $300 if they later upgrade to an Android phone. This is, of course, a silly premise, and if anything, it feels like an excuse for BMW to bilk used-car buyers for $80 a year in the future. Nevertheless, it’s uncharted territory for Apple CarPlay, although Motor1 reported that Toyota may follow a similar strategy with the 2020 Supra, which shares its underpinnings (and telematics) with the BMW Z4. Hopefully, future ConnectedDrive outages won’t leave Supra drivers out in the cold, although the real hope should be that both automakers will ditch this idea and get back to charging one-time fees that represent pennies on the dollar compared with the car’s window sticker. 2020 BMW M340i review: A dash of M makes everything better Aug 31 • Best places to sell your used electronics in 2019 reading • BMW ConnectedDrive issues caused Apple CarPlay to disappear for some owners • 2 Comments Tags More From Roadshow 52 Photos BMW Apple
0 Here’s everything that 5G can do for you 5:13 How to solve the rural broadband problem? Fix the maps FCC Chairman Ajit Pai, a Republican, said that it’s important to get the funds allocated as soon as possible and that the agency couldn’t afford to wait for the new mapping plan to take effect. The new Rural Digital Opportunity Fund will essentially replace the Connect America Fund II auction for distributing USF money to rural carriers. The new fund will establish a two-phase reverse auction starting next year that will allow carriers to bid on the rights to use the funds to provide broadband and voice service in underserved high-cost areas, such as rural communities. The lowest bid wins the auction. Unlike the FCC’s Connect America Fund II auction, in which incumbent carriers got first dibs on deciding whether to serve a given area, the new fund will be available to any company, including cable providers or public utilities, that propose building a broadband network. Fixing broadband mapsEven though the FCC is moving forward with the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund using existing broadband mapping criteria, the agency acknowledged its data collection program is flawed. And it voted to approve a long-awaited plan to improve the data it collects. Under the new proposal, broadband providers will be required to offer more detailed information on where they provide coverage and where they do not. The idea is to create a new map that will offer more “precise broadband service availability maps,” Pai said.The FCC’s current broadband maps have been widely criticized as inaccurate, showing broadband service in places where there isn’t and in other instances saying a location has no broadband when in fact it does, sometimes from multiple providers. We need maps before money. We need data before deployment. FCC commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel Tags Now playing: Watch this: These faulty maps have infuriated lawmakers who have been flooded with complaints from constituents, but the lack of visibility has also hampered the FCC’s efforts to distribute limited funds to help bring broadband to the 19 million people in this country, who still lack access even as the service is considered as important as water or electricity.Under the new plan, broadband providers will have to report broadband access using “shapefiles,” which will provide a more precise and detailed measurement. The current data collection includes information reported at the census block level, which counts an entire area as served even if only one household reports having broadband access. “We will no longer count everyone in the census block as served if just one person is served,” Pai said.The FCC will also collect feedback from the public and other agencies to ensure that the information provided by service providers is accurate. The three Republican commissioners supported the plan, but the two Democrats partially dissented. Rosenworcel said that the new proposal was a first step and that the agency still has a long way to go to gain public trust in its broadband data accuracy. She noted concerns over how the agency will push broadband providers to report accurate data. The trade group USTelecom, which represents many of the providers offering broadband in rural communities, applauded the FCC’s new mechanism for allocating USF funds for rural broadband, and the agency’s efforts to get more accurate broadband mapping information. The organization worked with several other groups to launch a two-state pilot in Virginia and Missouri in March to demonstrate how the FCC can identify where broadband can be offered and to determine which areas still lack broadband access. The group said that initial results of this study confirm the FCC’s assessment that its current process shows “serious discrepancies” in coverage. “Logically, in order for us (and the FCC) to declare mission accomplished [in closing the digital divide], we need to know which consumers do, and do not, have access to broadband,” Patrick Halley, senior vice president of advocacy and regulatory affairs for USTelecom, said in a blog post on Wednesday. “As the Commission’s draft data collection item acknowledges, the agency’s existing broadband availability data is ‘not sufficient to understanding where universal service support should be targeted and supporting the imperative of our broadband-deployment policy goals.'”Microsoft’s chief data analytics officer, John Kahan, wrote in a blog post on Wednesday that he is encouraged that many of the suggestions the FCC has considered mirrors those proposed by the company. Microsoft is working with USTelecom on its pilot program, too. But he acknowledged more work is needed to close the digital divide. “Based on our data, about half of all Americans are not using the internet at broadband speeds at home,” he said. “This digital divide should be seen for the national crisis it is — without equal access to connectivity, we cannot provide equal opportunities to all Americans.”Other FCC mattersThe FCC also voted on several other items at the August meeting. One big one was the approval of new rules to go after illegal robocallers based overseas. The rules extend the Truth in Caller ID Act to text messages or international calls as intended under the passage of Ray Baum’s Act last year.According to the FCC, that act gives it the authority to broaden bans on illegal spoofing to text messages, calls originating outside the US and calls using voice over IP. The Truth in Caller ID Act, passed in 2009, already prohibits misleading or inaccurate caller ID “spoofing” with the intent to defraud for domestic callers, the agency said. But it doesn’t apply to text messages or international calls. Share your voice Mobile FCC Chairman Ajit Pai has traveled throughout the US talking to people about the digital divide in rural communities. On one of those trips, he met with farmers in Idaho. FCC The Republican-led Federal Communications Commission voted Thursday to adopt a new mechanism for distributing subsidies to rural broadband providers. But Democrats want to see better data from a new broadband mapping effort first.At the agency’s August meeting, the FCC voted on two related items that commissioners say will help close the digital divide. First, the five-member commission unanimously voted to distribute more than $20 billion of Universal Service Fund subsidies over the next decade as part of the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund. It also adopted a long-awaited proposal to get more detailed information from broadband providers about where they offer service in order to improve the agency’s coverage maps. While the two items largely had bipartisan support, the two Democrat. They want more accurate mapping data before allocating any new funds to rural broadband providers. “The decisions we make now will direct funds for broadband for the next decade,” said Rosenworcel. “So choosing where those funds go for the next ten years without having accurate data is a real problem. … We need maps before money. We need data before deployment.” Post a comment 16 Photos FCC
Lady Davina Windsor (2nd L) walks arm in arm with her newly wed husband, Gary Lewis, outside the chapel at Kensington Palace.Getty imagesAs Prince Harry and Meghan Markle make preparations to move to Frogmore Cottage, Buckingham Palace has confirmed that there will be a royal divorce.Palace officials have announced that Lady Davina Windsor and Gary Lewis have decided to part ways after 14 years of marriage. Though the reason behind the separation has not been revealed, it is speculated that Lady Davina and Lewis’ different background is one of the causes, Hello! reported.Lady Davina Windsor is the elder daughter of Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester, and his wife Birgitte, Duchess of Gloucester. She was 30th in the line of succession to the British throne as of June 2018. Duke of Gloucester is the first cousin of Queen Elizabeth II.The couple met each other during a trip to Bali in 2000 and got married at the private chapel in Kensington Palace in 2004. They have two kids – Senna Kowhai, 8, and Tane Mahuta, 6. Meghan MarkleGetty ImagesDavina and Lewis used to stay in Auckland for some time during their marriage and lived a low-key lifestyle. The couple seldom comes out in public but appeared at the Trooping the Colour ceremony and were also present at the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s royal wedding.Prince Harry and Prince William used to have a lot of fun with Lady Davina and her sister Lady Rose Windsor and they were all photographed together many times.The news of their separation comes ahead of Prince Harry and Markle’s move. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will continue to receive support from Kensington Palace until they have settled. And because of this separation, it has been rumoured that the charity, Royal Foundation which is Prince Harry, Prince William, Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle’s will be affected.It has also been reported that Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s marriage is in trouble. The couple also had their first ‘out and out disagreement’ when Meghan’s friend defended her from her critics in an American celebrity magazine, a gesture that Harry would have disapproved if he knew about it before.
A 13-year-old Indian-origin boy in London died last month after suffering a severe allergic reaction to a piece of cheese. According to media reports, Karanbir Cheema was allergic to wheat, gluten and dairy and his condition was well known at school but he came in contact with the allergen in cheese as it was allegedly forced on him by a schoolmate.Food allergy or intolerance, which can cause symptoms ranging from a harmless skin rash to a potentially lethal anaphylactic shock, are estimated to affect four to six per cent of children and four per cent of adults, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).If left untreated, a food allergy can turn fatal, especially in children, because the body’s immune system considers the proteins and complex carbohydrates present in the food as foreign.”It is only in rare cases that one can get a severe allergic response to any food allergen. Food items like cheese have other ingredients which may have caused severe allergic reaction. Commonly mild allergy, however, does not cause such severe reactions,” said Vivek Raj, Director (Gastroenterology), Max Super Speciality Hospital.According to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), there are eight foods that are common for allergic reactions in a large segment of the sensitive population. These include, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, milk, shellfish, fish, wheat and their derivatives, soy and their derivatives, and sulphites (chemical-based, often found in flavours and colours in foods) at 10 parts per million (ppm) and over.These can cause several types of allergies such as skin manifestations which include rashes, swelling and itching, respiratory symptoms including wheezing, bronchospasm and choking and gastrointestinal symptoms including cramping, vomiting and diarrhoea. Some also cause low blood pressure which manifests as light-headedness, dizziness or even a fainting spell.Allergy to any food item may cause bronchial secretions, which can lead to bronchospasm – a sudden constriction of the muscles in the walls of the bronchioles in the respiratory tract.”As a result, the patient experiences choking and breathing difficulty, which, if not treated timely, may increase the risk of death,” added Rakesh Gupta, Senior Consultant, Apollo Hospitals.Further, children are much more vulnerable to food allergies than adults as the allergies fade away by adulthood.”As children grow older, they outgrow some of the allergies as their immune system matures. Also, the allergens are identified in childhood and then the person learns to avoid those as an adult,” Raj noted. However, allergies are not just hereditary but may be related to gender, according to recent research published in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.The study revealed that the genetic risk of a child having allergies doubles if the parent of the same sex is an allergy sufferer. Thus, mothers pass the risk of allergies to their daughters, as do fathers to their sons.Moreover, food allergies can worsen other conditions such as asthma and diabetes. If a patient already has other allergy-linked conditions like asthma, then the impact of food allergy can be more, doctors said. “As there is no cure to food allergy, the only way to prevent it is not to eat that food item,” suggested Ritika Samaddar, a Delhi-based nutritionist.”The allergy can be confirmed by skinprick tests and/or bloods tests to measure the allergy antibodies,” she added. Because fatal and near-fatal food allergy reactions can occur at school or other places outside the home, parents of a child with food allergies need to make sure that their child’s school has a written emergency action plan. The plan should provide instructions on preventing, recognising and managing food allergies and should be available in the school and during activities such as sporting events and field trips, experts suggested. However, “if any allergic item is consumed, the patient should be immediately rushed to the hospital. No drug should be taken without a doctor’s prescription”, Gupta said.