Tag: 上海蝴蝶419论坛

DU student commits suicide

first_imgA student of Dhaka University (DU) allegedly committed suicide jumping off the roof of his house at Cantonment area on Wednesday night.The deceased was Mushifiq, a fourth year student of Music department of the University.”I heard that he jumped off from the rooftop of his house and committed suicide,” university Proctor professor AKM Golam Rabbani told UNB.He is a non-residential student of Bijoy Ekattar hall and his village is in Rangpur district, he added.last_img

Read more…

Defence of allies key US condition for Syria exit

first_imgSyrian Democratic Forces and U.S. troops are seen during a patrol near Turkish border in Hasakah, Syria on 4 November, 2018. Photo: ReutersUS president Donald Trump’s national security adviser on Sunday set out conditions for the withdrawal of American troops from Syria, saying the defence of allies must first be assured.The comments by John Bolton during a visit to Israel signalled a far more gradual US withdrawal than initially set out by Trump, whose 19 December announcement concerned allies and led to the resignation of defence secretary Jim Mattis.Trump himself has more recently spoken of “slowly” sending troops home “over a period of time”, and Bolton laid out some of the conditions required before it takes place.”We’re going to be discussing the president’s decision to withdraw, but to do so from northeast Syria in a way that makes sure that ISIS is defeated and is not able to revive itself and become a threat again,” Bolton said when meeting Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem.”And to make sure that the defence of Israel and our other friends in the region is absolutely assured, and to take care of those who have fought with us against ISIS and other terrorist groups.”Israel is especially worried over whether the withdrawal will allow its main enemy Iran to expand its presence in the neighbouring country.Netanyahu has pledged to continue to act against Iran in Syria.Israel has carried out hundreds of air strikes in Syria against what it says are Iranian military targets and deliveries of advanced weapons to Hezbollah, a Shiite Lebanese militia backed by Tehran.Earlier in the day, Bolton told journalists travelling with him that conditions such as guarantees on the safety of Kurdish allies must be met before American troops are withdrawn, NBC News reported.Bolton also said all 2,000 US forces may not be pulled out, according to the report.He said the withdrawal would take place in northeastern Syria, while some forces could remain to the south at the al-Tanf garrison as part of efforts to counter Iran’s presence.Condition the withdrawal”There are objectives that we want to accomplish that condition the withdrawal,” said Bolton, according to NBC.”Timetables or the timing of the withdrawal occurs as a result of the fulfilment of the conditions and the establishment of the circumstances that we want to see. And once that’s done, then you talk about a timetable.”Kurdish-led forces control a large swathe of Syria’s north and northeast, some of it seized from the Islamic State group.Despite backing from the US-led coalition and success in pushing back IS, Kurdish-led forces have at times incurred heavy losses.A US withdrawal could leave them exposed to an attack by neighbouring Turkey — where Bolton travels on Monday — and its Syrian proxies.The Kurds have invited Damascus to send troops into some of the territory it controls, to act as a bulwark against pro-Turkish forces.Bolton’s visit was part of a US effort to reassure allies after Trump’s announcement.US secretary of state Mike Pompeo, who also met Netanyahu last week, leaves on Tuesday for an eight-day trip to Amman, Cairo, Manama, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Riyadh, Muscat, and Kuwait City.Netanyahu used Sunday’s meeting to again push for the United States and other countries to recognise Israel’s sovereignty over the Golan Heights, the strategic plateau it seized from Syria in the 1967 Six-Day War and later annexed.He said he planned to take Bolton to visit the Golan before he leaves for Turkey on Monday if weather permits.”The Golan Heights is tremendously important for our security and I think that when you’re there you’ll be able to understand perfectly why we’ll never leave the Golan Heights,” Netanyahu said alongside Bolton.”And why it’s important that all countries recognise Israel’s sovereignty over the Golan Heights. I’ve discussed this with the president.”last_img read more

Read more…

James Franco Denies Sexual Misconduct Claims Saying Theyre Not Accurate

first_imgCute #TIMESUP pin James Franco. Remember the time you pushed my head down in a car towards your exposed penis & that other time you told my friend to come to your hotel when she was 17? After you had already been caught doing that to a different 17 year old?— Violet Paley (@VioletPaley) January 8, 2018“A couple weeks ago, James offered me & a few other girls an overdue, annoyed, convenient phone ‘apology,’ ” Paley later tweeted, adding: “I don’t accept.”A couple weeks ago, James offered me & a few other girls an overdue, annoyed, convenient phone “apology”. I don’t accept, but maybe some other people’s lives would be made easier if he donated all of his earnings from “The Disaster Artist” to @RAINN01.— Violet Paley (@VioletPaley) January 9, 2018Neither allegation has been independently confirmed by NPR.Still, the simmering controversy was enough to dissuade The New York Times from holding an event featuring Franco. The paper canceled that event, which had been scheduled for Wednesday.“The event was intended to be a discussion of the making of the film, ‘The Disaster Artist.’ Given the controversy surrounding recent allegations, we’re no longer comfortable proceeding in that vein,” the Times explained in a statement to The New York Daily News.Franco remains scheduled to make another late-night appearance Wednesday, on Late Night with Seth Meyers on NBC.In Tuesday night’s conversation with Colbert, Franco reiterated his support for “Time’s Up,” saying he backs the drive for pay equity in the workplace, “which just means people that are underrepresented — women and people of color, people in the LGBT community — get leadership positions, that they fill all positions that they’ve been deprived of.”Then he spoke specifically of the claims against him.“The way I live my life, I can’t live — if there’s restitution to be made, I will make it. So, if I’ve done something wrong, I will fix it. I have to. I think that’s how that works. I don’t know what else to do,” Franco told Colbert.“Look, I really don’t have the answers” on the larger issue of sexual harassment, Franco added. “I think the point of this whole thing is that we listen. … I’m here to listen and learn, and change my perspective where it’s off. And I’m completely willing, and I want to.”Copyright 2018 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/. Share Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images for IFPJames Franco, seen at a film awards ceremony in November 2017.James Franco addressed the sexual misconduct claims circulating about him on social media Tuesday night, telling late-night host Stephen Colbert that “the things I heard on Twitter are not accurate.” Colbert had mentioned the criticisms raised Sunday by actress Ally Sheedy in a series of since-deleted tweets — claims that were then followed by separate allegations by multiple women.“I have no idea why [Sheedy] was upset. She took the tweet down. I don’t know, I can’t speak for her,” he told Colbert toward the end of their interview promoting Franco’s film The Disaster Artist. “The others — look, in my life I pride myself on taking responsibility for things that I’ve done. I have to do that to maintain my well-being. I do it whenever I know that there is something wrong or needs to be changed.”“The things that I heard that were on Twitter are not accurate,” he added, “but I completely support people coming out and being able to have a voice, because they didn’t have a voice for so long. So, I don’t want to shut them down in any way.”Franco’s comments come several days after the Golden Globes award ceremony, where he won for best actor in a comedy or musical. During the broadcast, his evident support for “Time’s Up,” an initiative seeking to end sexual harassment and gender inequality in the workplace, prompted disgust from Sheedy and others.“James Franco just won,” Sheedy, whom Franco directed in a 2014 off-Broadway show, said on Twitter. “Please never ever ask me why I left the film/tv business.”In an earlier tweet, Sheedy had asked: “Why is James Franco allowed in?”Both tweets, which lodged no specific allegations, have since been deleted, but at least two other women posted claims against the actor and director.Filmmaker Sarah Tither-Kaplan alleged a contract she signed with Franco regarding nudity in two of his films was exploitative, and actress Violet Paley addressed a tweet to Franco, saying, “Remember the time you pushed my head down in a car towards your exposed penis & that other time you told my friend to come to your hotel when she was 17?”Hey James Franco, nice #timesup pin at the #GoldenGlobes , remember a few weeks ago when you told me the full nudity you had me do in two of your movies for $100/day wasn’t exploitative because I signed a contract to do it? Times up on that!— Sarah Tither-Kaplan🌈 (@sarahtk) January 8, 2018last_img read more

Read more…

Study Says Many Houstonians Still Have A Hard Time Getting To A

first_img– / 7The Trust for Public Land says Houston improved four spots over last year’s ParkScore ranking, but still comes in at #77 on the list of the country’s 100 biggest cities.The study shows Houston has double the national average when it comes to park space. But the problem is accessibility, considering less than half the city’s residents live within a ten-minute walk from a park. Share View Fullscreen To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: X “The need for recreation is always a challenge and always an issue,” said Charlie McCabe, Trust for Public Land spokesman. “One of the challenges of the ten-minute walk is that you want a distribution of park land across the city.”On the plus side, McCabe said there’s increased investment by park conservancies and management districts.“The nice thing about all the work that nonprofit parks organizations are doing, thanks to a number of really generous donors across the City of Houston, is that they’re kind of filling the gap and they’re going after and trying to address the bigger needs,” said McCabe. “All of these efforts that are resulting in on-the-ground improvements as well as improvements to come.”The ParkScore study says Houston ranks high when it comes to amenities like park restrooms and splash pads, but still falls behind in the number of playgrounds and dog parks. Listen 00:00 /00:49last_img read more

Read more…